I put together a compilation of melodic IDM / deep techno called Robohustlin for my label, subVariant. I put out an open call for submissions in July and got an amazing collection of submissions. I decided to go with minimal techno / melodic IDM since that was submitted the most. Hope you enjoy!
Chaircrusher’s “Crow Beat” and Milipede’s “30,000” take a somewhat dark, harder approach, while tracks like Diarmo’s “Details” and Matt Wolfe’s “4:09am” hover somewhere between hopefulness and melancholy, held together with intricate rhythmic programming.
In keeping with subVariant’s tongue-in-cheek, music-as-consumer-product design aesthetic (see Subvaritrax, Exception AM), Robohustlin‘s digital cover lists the individual artists as separate “cures” in a packaging style based on the popular cough & cold medication, Robitussin.
1. Bola: “Eluus” Gnayse [Skam]
2. Apparat: “Schallstrom” Duplex [Shitkatapult]
3. Styrofoam: “Fade Out Your Eyes” Blue Skied An’ Clear [Morr Music]
4. Junior Boys: “So This is Goodbye” So This is Goodbye [Domino]
5. Ellen Allien & Apparat: “Leave Me Alone” Orchestra of Bubbles [BPitch Control]
6. Goldfrapp: “A&E (Gui Boratto Remix)” Switch 12 [La Musique Fait La Force]
7. Trentemoller: “Miss You” Miss You [Audiomatique Recordings]
8. Modeselektor: “The White Flash (Ft. Thom Yorke)” Happy Birthday! [BPitch Control]
9. Mr. Projectile: “Wild Orchids”unreleased
10. Solvent: ” My Radio (Schnieder TM Mustang Remix)” Elevators and Oscillators [Ghostly International]